Phonak, a global provider of hearing solutions, announced that its next generation of hearing aids will be powered by its latest Lumity platform. Beginning with the Audéo Lumity models, Lumity features the Phonak proprietary SmartSpeech Technology for “improved speech understanding.”1-4
Just two years after introducing the Paradise platform, Phonak delivers even more benefits to its users with the Phonak Lumity hearing aid platform, according to the company’s announcement. This new platform provides 16% better speech understanding from the front* and an average of 15% better speech intelligibility from the back and sides**. It includes universal Bluetooth connectivity and “the sound quality expected from an industry leader.”
“Despite many significant advancements in hearing aid functionality and ease of use, hearing care professionals and their clients continue to ask for ways to enhance what is the most basic but still the most important purpose of a hearing aid: better speech understanding,” said Angela Pelosi, director of global audiology for Phonak. “With Lumity, we’re delivering on that front with technology that offers our best performance in speech understanding, even in loud noise environments. This platform proudly builds on Phonak’s heritage of more than 75 years dedicated to creating innovative hearing solutions that impact the lives of millions of people.”
- Phonak SmartSpeech Technology focuses on “improved speech understanding and reduced listening effort 1-3 particularly in challenging environments.” The wearer will be able to “fully immerse in conversations and enjoy easier hearing in many situations, in quiet or even in environments with background noise, such as a restaurant.”
- Lumity delivers a new dimension in directional microphone technology with “improved speech detection and speech understanding through new StereoZoom 2.0 and SpeechSensor.”
- StereoZoom 2.0 provides “a smoother, gradual, and continuously adaptive focus on a conversation partner while simultaneously maintaining a balance of environmental awareness.” Clinical evidence shows that it enables better speech understanding from the front by 16%* in a noisy environment 4. SpeechSensor provides 360-degree speech detection with an average of “15% better speech understanding from the side and behind.”
- ActiveVent receiver and Roger On are two optional integrations to Lumity that can “improve speech understanding even further. ”ActiveVent receiver provides an average of 10% better speech understanding in noise** and natural sound in everyday listening situations 2 while AutoSense OS 5.0 allows the hearing aids to automatically adjust to surrounding sounds. Roger On is designed to help hearing aid wearers “better understand speech in challenging situations, such as background noise and over distance.” MultiBeam Technology in Roger On has been shown to increase speech understanding up to 61% in a group conversation in 75 dBA of noise, compared to hearing aids alone 3.
- Phonak Audeo Lumity is also available as Phonak Audéo Life, designed to help people get immersed in their experiences with a hearing aid that is waterproof*** and tested beyond IP68 rating for not only fresh water, but also salt or pool water and sweat.
- Lumity pairs with the myPhonak app, which has been designed to empower users with “the ability to make adjustments and create customized programs.” The app also allows the user to track personal health data, including step count, wearing time, activity levels, distance walked and ran, and optional goal setting. In addition, myPhonak app allows the users to connect directly with a hearing care professional who can remotely assist in personalizing their hearing experience.
- Phonak’s made-for-all connectivity supports up to eight pairings and two active connections, allowing the wearer to switch between streamed audio from one device to another and to make hands-free calls.
“We strive to provide hearing care professionals and their clients with the best possible outcomes. Daily use of hearing aids has become the norm for a growing number of people around the world who are living with hearing loss, so we focus on making the experience as seamless and effective as possible, with optimal ease of use and peace of mind,” said Jon Billings, vice-president of Phonak Marketing. “With Lumity, we’re excited to further the ability that our hearing aids provide in helping people to fully immerse in conversations in any environment.”
- Appleton-Huber J. AutoSense OS 4.0 – significantly less listening effort and preferred for speech intelligibility. https://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/phonakpro/gc_hq/en/resources/evidence/field_studies/documents/PH_FSN_AutoSense_OS_4.0_less%20listening%20effort_210x297_EN_V1.00.pdf. Phonak Field Study. Published November 2020. Accessed February 2022.
- Latzel M, Hobi S. ActiveVent Receiver provides benefit of open and closed acoustics for better speech understanding in noise and naturalness of own voice perception. Phonak Field Study News. www.phonakpro.com/evidence. Accessed May 2022.
- Thibodeau LM. Benefits in speech recognition in noise with remote wireless microphones in group settings. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 2020;31(6):404–411.
- Woodward J, Latzel M. New implementation of directional beamforming configurations show improved speech understanding and reduced listening effort. Phonak Field Study News in preparation. Expected end of 2022.
*Compared to fixed directional.
** Compared to conventional acoustic coupling
*** Up to 50 cm
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Sonova AG is under license.