Given the importance of hearing care to so many American consumers, the Federal Trade Commission announced in a blog posting that it is hosting a workshop on Tuesday, April 18, to examine these issues, especially as they relate to competition, innovation, and consumer protection. Workshop participants from diverse backgrounds in industry, advocacy, and academia will share their perspectives on a number of important questions, including:
- How are innovations in hearing technology—including hearing aids, personal sound amplification products, and other platforms—changing the competitive landscape?
- What innovations may be on the horizon?
- How are hearing aids commonly distributed to consumers, and to what extent might changes to this delivery model affect the marketplace?
- What is the consumer experience in the hearing marketplace?
- What is the state and federal regulatory framework governing this area, and what factors should regulators consider as they evaluate potential changes to this framework?
The “Now Hear This” workshop will start at 9:00 am, with Acting Chairman Maureen Ohlhausen delivering opening remarks. The event will be webcast live from the FTC’s event web page. Additionally, interested parties may submit comments online through May 18, 2017. Check out the detailed workshop agenda for more information on the schedule of presentations and panels. Watch for updates on Twitter @FTC using the hashtag #NowHearThisFTC, including live tweeting on the day of the workshop.
Source: Federal Trade Commission