The Hearing Loss Association of America will host its annual convention on June 27 to 30 at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland. A PDF summary of the event can be obtained by clicking here, and highlights of the convention include:
- Howard Weinstein, inventor of solar-powered hearing aids, will deliver keynote at the Opening Session on Thursday, June 27, 5-6:30 PM. Opening Session sponsored by Williams Sound.
- Opening-night Get Acquainted Party sponsored by CaptionCall. Come meet old friends and make new friends while enjoying light refreshments and entertainment, 8:30-10:30 PM.
- Research Symposium presented by research audiologists from the National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR) at the VA National Center in Portland. Topics include Diabetes and Hearing Loss: Current Findings and Thoughts; Approaches to Tinnitus Management (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation and Progressive Tinnitus Management); Approaches to Auditory Rehabilitation (Computerized Auditory Training and Group Aural Rehabilitation).
- Workshops featuring professionals from across the country. The workshop schedule has now been posted; a summary of each workshop will be posted soon as well. The line-up of workshops is rich in variety—there is something for everyone, including presentations for spouses and veterans with hearing loss.
- An Enchanted Evening at the World Forestry Center—The Center’s mission is to educate and inform people about the world’s forests and trees, and environmental sustainability. It’s more than that though—it’s located in breathtaking Washington Park, which is also home to the Oregon Zoo, Portland’s Children’s Museum, Hoyt Arboretum, Portland Japanese Garden, and the International Rose Test Garden. While at Discovery Museum, you will also have the opportunity to view the Ansel Adams exhibition, Distance and Detail. Ansel Adams (1902-1984), photographer, environmentalist, and social activist, is recognized as one of America’s foremost photographers. (Optional event; $35/ticket)
- Hamilton CapTel® presents Hearing Loss Solutions for Veterans, an all-day track of useful information and resources for veterans including a luncheon in the Exhibit Hall.
- Farewell, the Saturday evening banquet, will honor the accomplishments of retiring executive director Brenda Battat. Join us for a memorable evening with entertainment provided by the band Five Guys Named Moe. Farewell is sponsored by Contacta and Univox.
Source: Hearing Loss Association of America