Hamilton CapTel is presented two panel discussions titled "A Holistic Approach To Hearing Healthcare for Veterans" at the VFW National Convention in Reno, Nev, on July 21, 2012.
According to the Government Accounting Office (GAO), hearing-related conditions are among the most common claims received by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. In 2009, annual hearing loss-related compensation exceeded $1.1 billion.
"The challenge is that hearing aids are often regarded as the primary solution for those with hearing loss," says Kelly Wacker, AuD, audiology clinic coordinator, University of Nebraska. "What must be considered are the lifestyle and communication needs of each individual; how they live, work, play, and communicate."
Hamilton CapTel, an assistive hearing service and device manufacturer, offers that people with hearing loss can benefit from a combination of technologies that may include hearing aids, as well as other assistive hearing devices and services.
"A Holistic Approach to Hearing Healthcare for Veterans" presents a panel of both veterans and leading hearing health care professionals in a discussion that includes personal hearing loss journeys told by veterans and hearing health experts.
Panelists for both sessions include:
- Lt Allen M. Ford, USA (Ret), assistant professor of NTID Business Studies, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY; Leader, RIT/NTID Veterans with Hearing Loss Program
- Col Douglas K. Holmes, MD, FACS, USAF (Ret) MC, and owner/surgeon, ENT & Audiology Associates, PLCC, Raleigh, NC
- Kelly Wacker, AuD, assistant professor of practice/audiology clinic coordinator, University of Nebraska Lincoln Barkley Memorial Center
- Donald Doherty, a 20-year Marine veteran, is an Education Specialist at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Chaplain Training Center in Hampton, Va
- Capt Mark Brogan, USA (Ret) is an Iraq war veteran who is a National Hearing Loss Advocate for Veterans and Civilians
- MSG Bobby S. Ehrig, USA (Ret) is a Bronze Star and Purple Heart Recipient who retired from the US Army
- Elizabeth LeBarron, national states and chapters coordinator, Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA)
- Capt Kent Ewing, USN (Ret), chief pilot, High Performance Aircraft Training, and president of Beechcraft Professional Pilot Program
The panel discussion is at 9:00 am and again at 11:00 am in the Reno Sparks Convention Center.
SOURCE: Hamilton CapTel