The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) is honored to announce that Consumer Technology Association (CTA) President and CEO Gary Shapiro will deliver the keynote address at the HLAA2018 Convention in Minneapolis this June. According to HLAA’s announcement, Shapiro has helped direct policymakers and business leaders on the importance of innovation in the US economy and helped ensure that technology is accessible to people with disabilities.
CTA is also the owner and producer of CES– said to be “the world’s largest” technology event. Shapiro said, “I am excited to join HLAA at its annual convention to celebrate great successes such as Over-the-Counter [OTC] hearing devices and life-changing innovations for all people.”
HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelley said, “We are pleased to welcome Gary Shapiro, whose motto is, ‘Innovation moves us forward as a nation.’ HLAA2018 attendees are people who want to stay in the hearing world with technology and will find Gary’s outlook on the future both exciting and hopeful.”
HLAA hosts what is said to be an “extensive” educational program and trade show for people with hearing loss. All plenary and breakout sessions are communication-accessible with the use of CART/real-time captioning and hearing loops. Highlights of HLAA2018 will include:
- Opening Session, sponsored by CTA Foundation, will feature keynote address, “Tech Innovations for All,” by Gary Shapiro.
- The National Access Award will be presented to the Shubert Organization for bringing captioning to Broadway theaters for people with hearing loss.
- Research Symposium, “Listening in Noise” presented by top researchers and professionals in the field and moderated by Andrew J. Oxenham, PhD, professor in the departments of Psychology and Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota.
- Educational Workshops on a variety of relevant topics as well as technology demonstrations, all in a communication-accessible environment.
- Exhibit Hall full of the latest technology and services for people with hearing loss, is open free to the public.
- State and Chapter Awards Ceremony and Evening Reception.
- National Awards Breakfast and Ceremony sponsored by CapTel Captioned Telephone.
- Opening night Get Acquainted Party sponsored by CaptionCall.
- America’s Got Talent ‘Golden Buzzer’ winner Mandy Harvey will perform along with her band.
- HLAA2018 Convention Walk4Hearing.
- West Side Story at the Guthrie Theater, communication accessible with real-time captions, hearing loop, and sign interpretation, sponsored by Contacta.
- Complimentary registration for veterans with hearing loss attending for the first time.
Early-bird registration for HLAA2018 is open through March 31, 2018. Visit the HLAA Convention page for a schedule, list of sponsors, and available sponsorship, marketing, and exhibiting opportunities.